This new year is an exciting one for the Magic 4 Children team. We hope that at some point this year, we can, at last, be joined by The Amazing Andre who will be taking over from Freddie Fantastic as our lead entertainer in the North-West of England. Freddie Fantastic (AKA Craig) will be retiring from performing and turning his focus towards training and recruiting so that we can grow the Magic 4 Children family and be of service to more families.
From January, Super Sophie will be visiting schools in the West Yorkshire area and educating primary aged children in The Magic of Mindfulness. We are still seeing the impact of Covid-19 on the mental health of our children and Super Sophie’s Mindfulness techniques, magic, and experience as a mum and teacher, make her the perfect person to help children learn how to deal with their emotions. Get in touch if you’d like to find out more about The Magic of Mindfulness programme for schools.
Have you thought about your own New Year’s Resolution yet?
The custom of making and recording New Year’s Resolutions has been around for thousands of years. It is a reminder to think about the successes and trials of the previous year and start to look forward. It is really important to talk to your child about New Year’s Resolutions and help them to think of their own. Here are our tips:
Firstly, you can help them to reflect on 2021 by asking them the following questions:
- What was your favourite place that we went to this year?
- What did you enjoy the most when we were at home?
- What have you done well at school?
- What has been your favourite book that you read this year?
- What has been hard this year?
- What has made you feel sad or worried?
- What has made you feel happy?
- What are you most proud of?
- What would you like to be better at?
Sometimes it is hard to have these discussions but it is really important that children can talk about their feelings and know that they are taken seriously.
Key phrases that can help you with primary aged children:
- I understand why that made you sad, that made me sad too. Let’s think about something that makes us happy to cheer us up.
- It makes sense that you were worried then. I wasn’t worried because I’ve done it before and I know that it’s okay. Next time, you will feel more confident.
- Sometimes things are hard because they are new to us but if we work on them together then they get easier.
Key phrases that can help you with secondary aged children:
(remember that from age 13-18 your child’s brain is undergoing a lot of change and this can prevent them from making rational decisions and make them more tired and more emotional)
- I know that you’re feeling frustrated, let’s sit down, have a snack and talk about what we can do to make things easier.
- I get that you feel it’s unfair, I’m making these decisions to keep you safe.
- Sometimes we have to make difficult decisions, now is one of those times.
- If you feel tired, emotional, confused and frustrated, that’s normal. I’m here for you. We can talk whenever you are ready. Maybe, for now, we could just watch a film together.
Teenagers may want to make drastic New Year’s Resolutions that they can talk to their friends about. Encourage them to be ambitious but realistic. There’s nothing worse than failing a New Year’s Resolution on January 2nd!
Some children may find it hard to be reflective or to plan ahead. You could try drawing or using Lego (or other construction materials) to show what’s gone well in 2021 and make what they want to achieve in 2022. Alternatively, sit down together, snuggle up and tell them what you’ve enjoyed whilst being with them and what you’d like to share with them going forward - lots of games, books, films and trips out!
We write a new blog each month and would love to include information and guidance that helps you the most. So, if you have any requests or want advice or additional support for you or your child/children, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll do our best to help.
We’ll leave you with this thought for the day:
Make this a year of joy, peace and purpose.
The Magic 4 Children Team